Maple Blackberry Snacking Cake with Blackberry Icing
This is a fun cake for any day of the week. Kids love the pink icing and parents love that there is no artificial color. Maple syrup makes for a buttery sweetness which is a perfect compliment to wild berries. Take advantage of summer’s fruit and celebrate with cake!
- ½ cup Ben’s Maple Syrup
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt plain
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup blackberries cut in half if large- rinse, pat dry, dust with flour
- 6 large blackberries
- 3/4 cup confectionery (powdered) sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease an 8 inch loaf, round, or square pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a large bowl combine syrup, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil, and lemon zest. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients to combine (don’t over mix).
- Add berries, folding in gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick/tester comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes and then turn cake out of pan to cool completely.
- Make icing- Microwave or heat berries until just soft. Push through a strainer or cheesecloth to get 2-3 tablespoons of juice free of seeds and skin. In a bowl stir together the sugar, maple syrup, and blackberry juice. Add more juice or syrup gradually to make a thick pourable icing.
- Pour blackberry maple icing on top and enjoy!